[llvmlinux] x86_64: Creating a checkpoint fails

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 09:50:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Jan-Simon Möller
<jsmoeller at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
[...]
>> Thanks for updating the x86_64 kernel-config [1]!
>>
>> LOCALVERSION settings from [1]:
>>
>> +CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-1.16-desktop"
>> +# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set
>>
>> Please, remove any individual settings from CONFIG_LOCALVERSION settings!
> No. And in the next update both will be enabled again. We track git revisions
> and will need to know which was built.  This is intentional.

What is the "intention"?
Does the build-bot increases "X.YY" (1.16 above) with each build?
"desktop" for a certain config-setup?
If this is for the build-bot or any other individual setting why has
it to be in the "default" kernel-config?

Here the latest Ubuntu/precise settings for LOCALVERSION:

/boot/config-3.2.0-50-generic:CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
/boot/config-3.2.0-50-generic:# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set

Sorry, this is a bit uncommon.
( I just want to understand your intention. )

>> "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y" is adding some "-dirty" suffixes
>> (especially when building out a GIT repository) to
>> "include/generated/utsrelease.h" and thus what you get with "uname
>> -r".
> By intention.

What is the "intention" here?
To have "-dirty" or other "crap" in the (u)name?

Can you post your "uname -r" from the working kernel you recently
booted into successfully?

- Sedat -