[llvmlinux] x86_64: Creating a checkpoint fails

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Thu Jul 11 12:13:58 UTC 2013

On 07/11/13 05:50, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Jan-Simon Möller
> <jsmoeller at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Thanks for updating the x86_64 kernel-config [1]!
>>>
>>> LOCALVERSION settings from [1]:
>>>
>>> +CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-1.16-desktop"
>>> +# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set
>>>
>>> Please, remove any individual settings from CONFIG_LOCALVERSION settings!
>> No. And in the next update both will be enabled again. We track git revisions
>> and will need to know which was built.  This is intentional.
>>
> What is the "intention"?
> Does the build-bot increases "X.YY" (1.16 above) with each build?
> "desktop" for a certain config-setup?
> If this is for the build-bot or any other individual setting why has
> it to be in the "default" kernel-config?
>
> Here the latest Ubuntu/precise settings for LOCALVERSION:
>
> /boot/config-3.2.0-50-generic:CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
> /boot/config-3.2.0-50-generic:# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set
>
> Sorry, this is a bit uncommon.
> ( I just want to understand your intention. )
>
>>> "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y" is adding some "-dirty" suffixes
>>> (especially when building out a GIT repository) to
>>> "include/generated/utsrelease.h" and thus what you get with "uname
>>> -r".
>> By intention.
>>
> What is the "intention" here?
> To have "-dirty" or other "crap" in the (u)name?
>
> Can you post your "uname -r" from the working kernel you recently
> booted into successfully?

Perhaps uncommon for a distro, the default everywhere else. What it's
doing is the default and intentional way of generating a uname. The idea
is to be very explicit that the kernel is being generated from
uncontrolled sources (source which hasn't been checked into git).

This naming was added by the kernel community in order to be able to
easily spot kernels which had uncontrolled code added to them, a
situation which, unless you know what that code is, makes it impossible
to debug for a third party developer. The name gives information to
those trying to find problems.

You can fix this in your own config file quite easily. The way the uname
is currently being generated as a part of the current build scripts is
intentional so that the default kernels built with the system are
explicitly labelled as being development (and not release quality) kernels.

You are free to change it for your own local build.

behanw at converseincode.com