[llvmlinux] [llvm3.3linux3.10] x86_64: Two missing patches in series file?

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 18:00:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The answer is the same as the last time you asked this question: you're
>>> looking in the wrong place. Those are merely some of the patches we use for
>>> that one arch.
>>>
>>> The build system pulls patches from several places to assemble a patch
>>> series which is unique to each supported target. You're trying to recreate
>>> the patch series by hand which isn't the way it was intended to be used. The
>>> build system automates everything you are trying to recreate by hand.
>>>
>>> If you use the build system properly you can recreate the x86_64 patches
>>> (without having to build anything) for mainline as follows:
>>>
>>>     $ cd targets/x86_64
>>>     $ make kernel-quilt-link-patches
>>>
>>> The targets/x86_64/patches will now contain a proper series file, and links
>>> to all the relevant patches.
>>>

>> Hmmm, I can look if this creates the same patchset.
>> Are patches from "generic" (arch/all) plus x86_64 considered this way?
>>
>>> The config options we use for a particular target is in its target
>>> directory. For instance:
>>>
>>>      targets/x86_64/config_x86_64
>>>

>> Yupp, I have taken this one... Building right now...
>>
>>> I am sure the list would love to hear your results for testing specific
>>> kernel versions and config options.
>>>

>> As said building is not the real goal... Running on bare metal is...
>>
>> After llvmlinux-style I try with my reduced/localmodconfi-ed kernel-config.
>>
>> I will report later.
>>

> Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
>
> I should have checked this before!!!
>
> $ grep -i debug_info linux/.config
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
> # CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED is not set
>
> ...explodes disc-space.
>
> $ grep -i localver linux/.config
> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-clang1"
> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y
>
> ...ruined my custom localversion settings.
>
> No, I will not try a 3rd run - not worth it.

I was able to build a kernel w/ above mentioned patches and a slightly
modified x86_64 kernel-config (no localversion stuff and disabled
debug-info).

Unfortunately, it does not boot on bare metal.
The only thing I see is decompressing... and a return to GRUB.

Does my initrd.img needs some clang-libs included?

- Sedat -