[llvmlinux] make [CONFIG=config.mk] sync-all... does not download llvm-sources

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Thu Jul 11 14:23:25 UTC 2013

On 07/11/13 09:48, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> After dozens of time touching your build-system, the generated kernel
> seems to boot, but end in initramfs as CONFIG_FUSE=y is not set.
> For a WUBI installation fuse is absolutely necessary.
You should be able to add that to your local config file. We don't claim
to have a config file which works for all computers. Better to use your
distro's config file.

On a side note, how do find the WUBI install works for you? I've never
personally used it, but one of my students did recently, and it appeared
extremely slow. The fuse process accessing the underlying ntfs had one
of the i7 cores pegged at 100%, and compiles on the machine were slower
than on a core2duo. :(  In the end the student ended up running Ubuntu
in a VM under windows which ended up being orders of magnitudes faster.
And when I was looking for an answer it seems that WUBI installs have
slow I/O is fairly common. What's been your experience?

> What the hell is "FORCE_LLVMLINUX_COMMIT=1" for?
> Shouldn't that checkout (downgrade) llvmlinux-git for me?
It's a check for the correct version of the build system for the config
file. When a config file is created it is tied to the current feature
set of the build system. Having the build scripts change the checkout
from which it is running is kinda dangerous (undefined behaviour). So
instead it tells the user what to do so that the config file can be run
from a consistent version of the build system.

There are a lot of discussions on the topic in the mailing list archives.

behanw at converseincode.com