[llvmlinux] Linux-v3.10 is bootable here

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 14:56:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM, PaX Team <pageexec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2013 at 14:08, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>
>> I am not sure why pageexec (PaX team) has chosen -march=i586.
>> Might be i586 is the minimum for x86-32bit for llvm/clang?
>
> those changes are needed when one wants to enable integrated-as (which
> is what i've been doing for some years now but it's a big step and the
> llvmlinux folks will take it later). what happens is that some of the
> asm code contains insns that don't exist on i386 but later CPUs only
> and llvm's integrated assembler does actually enforce this unlike gas.

Hi,

I am not sure if I have fully understood this:

llvmlinux disables the usage of integrated-assembler ( $(call
cc-option,-no-integrated-as) ) in several Makefile#s.
But you say building for -march=i386 produces different assembler-code, right?
Fact is, the Linux-kernel dropped i386-arch support with v3.10.
So, we should use -march=i586 for the 16bit-code part in x86-boot and
x86-realmode?
What is the minimum -march?
As llvmlinux supports i586 (x86 32-bit), that above march-line makes
sense to me.

BTW, why do you have "-mno-sse" in x86-boot but not in x86-realmode Makefile?

Thanks!

Regards,
- Sedat -