[llvmlinux] Linux-v3.10 is bootable here

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Fri Jul 12 15:11:10 UTC 2013

On 07/12/13 10:56, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM, PaX Team <pageexec at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 Jul 2013 at 14:08, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure why pageexec (PaX team) has chosen -march=i586.
>>> Might be i586 is the minimum for x86-32bit for llvm/clang?
>> those changes are needed when one wants to enable integrated-as (which
>> is what i've been doing for some years now but it's a big step and the
>> llvmlinux folks will take it later). what happens is that some of the
>> asm code contains insns that don't exist on i386 but later CPUs only
>> and llvm's integrated assembler does actually enforce this unlike gas.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if I have fully understood this:
>
> llvmlinux disables the usage of integrated-assembler ( $(call
> cc-option,-no-integrated-as) ) in several Makefile#s.
Just so we're all on the same page, the project's short term focus is
getting Clang support into mainline (now that clang is mostly fixed),
and then working on things like enabling IA in the Linux kernel code.

Pax Team has done some great work to enable IA, but smaller, simpler
steps are needed right now. Once in mainline there will doubtless be
more people interesting in helping to fix these sort of things.

behanw at converseincode.com