[llvmlinux] Choosing which clang to use

Jens Staal staal1978 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 06:40:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 01:27:11 -0400
Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com> wrote:

> I've just pushed updates which allow you to choose which clang you
> want to use.
>
> You can choose your clang by setting the CLANG_TOOLCHAIN variable.
>    CLANG_TOOLCHAIN=prebuilt     Download and use llvm.org clang
>    CLANG_TOOLCHAIN=native       Use distro installed clang
>    CLANG_TOOLCHAIN=from-source  Download and build from source
> (Default)
>
> As an example, you would use it as follows
>
> $ cd targets/x86_64
> $ make CLANG_TOOLCHAIN=prebuilt kernel-build
>
> You can also specify it in your config file if you wish (which
> extends to checkpoints from now on as well). Note that this obviously
> won't work with checkpoints in the past (since the code was only just
> added to the build system).
>
> $ cd targets/x86_64
> $ echo "CLANG_TOOLCHAIN=prebuilt" >> config.mk
> $ make CONFIG=config.mk kernel-build
>
> I hope this works for everyone. I'm the only one who has tested it so
> far, so doubtless there are still bugs...
>
> Behan

AWESOME!

I updated the AURs for Arch linux, so there are now two options:

building native:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/llvmlinux-git/

building toochain+kernel:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/llvmlinux-git-git/
which includes a number of extra makedepends to build LLVM and Clang

This will hopefully speed up testing a bit (my computer is pretty slow,
currently trying the native build - to be able to avoid building LLVM
and Clang every time will be nice).

I also updated the wiki
http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Quick_Start_Guide#Arch_Linux