[llvmlinux] [arch/x86/kernel/head64.c] In function `early_make_pgtable': undefined reference to `mcount'

PaX Team pageexec at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 07:54:32 UTC 2013

On 13 Jul 2013 at 14:57, Sedat Dilek wrote:

> >> # CONFIG_FTRACE is not set
> >>

> [ CCing pageexec ]

[btw, i've been subscribed since the beginning ;)]

> Unfortunately, it is the opposite:
>
> With CONFIG_FTRACE=n (disabled) I am able to build a kernel (with the
> kernel-config I normally use for my Linux-next builds).
> But disabling it means dispense with a lot of tracing-support, this is no good.

i haven't tried building with any of the tracers in a long time but what
i do know is that at runtime the kernel will fail because the stack walker
code has various assumptions about the function call depth and will
dereference bad memory when you enable this under clang (that's what the
CALLER_ADDR* defines try to work around).

another issue i remember is that clang applies the instrumentation needed
by ftrace/etc in a different way, in particular functions get instrumented
before inlining, so you'll get multiple calls to mcount from functions that
contain inlined bodies and that's certainly not the behaviour the rest of
the kernel infrastructure expects (i had a hackish workaround for this some
years ago but i think it didn't get accepted).

then there's the whole issue of clang/llvm not supporting the 'asm goto' gcc
extension which is used for efficient instrumentation.

all in all, forget instrumentation based tracing support for now, it will
require quite some work.