[llvmlinux] keeping track of working configs?

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 08:14:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Jens Staal <staal1978 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> While packaging LLVMLinux for Arch, I noticed that the default Arch
>> config does not work to build LLVMLinux whereas the default config
>> included in the llvmlinux checkout does.
>>
>> One of the purposes of this packaging is naturally to encourage savvy
>> and interested people to test various permutations of the build/config.
>>
>> What is the purpose of the default config? Should it enable
>> everything that has been shown to work?
>>
>> In that case, BTRFS can also be activated, which I do on the default
>> config via sed in the PKGBUILD:
>>
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ll/llvmlinux-git/PKGBUILD
>>
>> is there a wiki somewhere with working/non-working configuration
>> options documented?
>
> Hi,

[...]

> I cannot promise, but I try to create a patch with a "checkpoint" for
> x86-64 with LLVM/Clang v3.3 and Linux v3.10.1.

[...]

> I am really interested in improving the situation.
> The above promised patches will be a good start.
> This week I am really busy.

I have sent the "checkpoint" patch for x86-64 I made the last weekend
for your 1st experiments.
The included kernel-config is a localmodconfig-ed one (means
especially for my machine).
The origin was a kernel-config of a Ubuntu/precise kernel.
I used the reduced kernel-config for my Linux-next builds, so it is
known to be "working".
Anyway, you can take it as good start-point.
Jan-Simon refreshed the config_x86_64, but the build takes longer.
For 1st experiments I recommend you a reduced setup!

I use the attached build-script to build llvmlinux-kernels on
Ubuntu/precise (and Debian/wheezy will follow).
It has a lot of useful comments.
( TODO: Comment the ftrace issue as well and place appropriate working
CONFIG_XXX).

Hope this helps you!

- Sedat -