[llvmlinux] RFC: Unique handling of kernel-config files and working checkpoints

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 08:56:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

Hereby, as promised some ideas for a "unique" handling of
kernel-config files and "working" checkpoints.

[ IN GENERAL / LOCATION ]

Any kernel-config files should be placed into a new
"targets/$arch/configs/" directory.
All kernel-config files should be physically accessible in the
llvmlinux-buildsystem!
With "any" or "all" I mean also the one for checkpoints.

BAD EXAMPLE: nexus7

Line #19: KERNEL_CFG              =
${TARGETDIR}/src/android_kernel_nexus7/arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_grouper_defconfig

[ NAMING SCHEME ]

Kernel-config files of checkpoints should be named accordingly!

EXAMPLE:

Name of checkpoint-Makefile: "targets/$arch/checkpoints/chp1.mk"
Name of kernel-config file:  "targets/$arch/configs/config_$arch_chp1"

All checkpoint(s)-dir should have the same dirname!

EXAMPLES:

x86_64: dirname "CHECKPOINTS" (upper-case and plural)
rpi:    dirname "checkpoint" (lower-case and singular)
nexus7: dirname "checkpoint" (lower-case and singular)

If you ask me, I vote for "checkpoints" (plural and lower-case).

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=llvmlinux.git;a=blob;f=targets/nexus7/checkpoint/ckp2.mk#l19
[2] http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=llvmlinux.git;a=tree;f=targets/x86_64/CHECKPOINTS