[llvmlinux] keeping track of working configs?

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Tue Jul 16 14:29:42 UTC 2013

On 07/16/13 02:41, Jens Staal wrote:
> Hi
>
> While packaging LLVMLinux for Arch, I noticed that the default Arch
> config does not work to build LLVMLinux whereas the default config
> included in the llvmlinux checkout does.
Sadly not everything works yet. There is much that still needs to be
tested. And other things break as we go forwards (since the kernel
community isn't testing with clang yet).

> One of the purposes of this packaging is naturally to encourage savvy
> and interested people to test various permutations of the build/config.
Wonderful! I certainly have told the arch users I meet about your
packages. :)

> What is the purpose of the default config? Should it enable
> everything that has been shown to work?
The default kernel configs in git are there to give a starting point;
they largely are there for the current target maintainers (and the
buildbot) to have something to build and test with (which is mostly boot
testing still, with some LTP testing). There isn't anywhere near
complete test coverage however. So the existence of a setting in the
config file is by no means an indication that something is working.
That's an ongoing process.

Bug reports welcomed. Kernel patches even more so. :)

> In that case, BTRFS can also be activated, which I do on the default
I don't think anyone has tried BTRFS yet.

> config via sed in the PKGBUILD:
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ll/llvmlinux-git/PKGBUILD
>
> is there a wiki somewhere with working/non-working configuration
> options documented?
Not yet. But I would love to see somebody build such a wiki page.

Behan

--
Behan Webster
behanw at converseincode.com