[llvmlinux] Heavy experiments

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Wed Jul 24 00:17:19 UTC 2013

On 07/23/13 18:13, Marcelo Sousa wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I asked this before and it was not clear how I would do it but:
> 1. What is the first version of the linux kernel that I can generate
> LLVM IR with? I want to compile and extract the LLVM IR from several
> linux kernel versions. Can you tell which ones can I do?
We don't have a specific list of kernel versions. Nor do we have patches
for specific kernel versions. :(

The patches have been updated on mainline as the kernel has progressed.
So based on the date you should be able to extract a set of patches for
a particular kernel as it was released. But it's not something anyone
specifically needed so I'm afraid we didn't tag the patches or anything
when a kernel was released.

> 2. It appears to me that some drivers or components are not compiled
> (probably due to the configuration passed to the compilation phase).
Mostly because they either haven't been tested, or they don't yet work.

> Can I change the configuration in such a way that I compile the kernel
> with the maximum of components possible?
The problem is that just you can build a lot of modules (which I'm sure
a bunch of them don't build yet) they don't necessarily all work yet.
I'm not sure the results you'll get from such an exercise will be valid.
At least not yet. :(

There is no hurt in trying though. :)

behanw at converseincode.com