[llvmlinux] LLVM compiled Android

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Fri Mar 8 22:17:51 UTC 2013

It's still a work in progress, but this week at Linaro Connect, Bernhard
Rosenkränzer (Linaro Android Engineer) with support from Renato Golin
(Linaro LLVM Engineer), and the LLVMLinux patches (with some support
from me) was able to get AOSP to compile with clang. There is still a
lot of work to do since it doesn't boot yet, but major progress was made
towards getting an LLVM compiled AOSP available from Linaro.

Zach Pfeffer (Android tech lead at Linaro) has opened a project card on
this topic, which hopefully we will be adopted as a Linaro project.

     http://cards.linaro.org/browse/CARD-497

Like us, they will be working from LLVM/clang mainline, so we need to
figure out the segfault we're seeing when compiling with the latest
clang. Until then it's tricky for them to build the kernel with clang
since Android uses the same compiler to compile the entirety of AOSP.

But then again, once that issue is fixed the LLVMLinux patches available
to a much wider audience.

Renato Golin (Linaro LLVM Engineer) just started with Linaro in January,
and has plans to optimize LLVM for ARM. So having a target built with
clang seems to be really timely.

behanw at converseincode.com