[llvmlinux] LLVMLinux Meeting minutes 2013-03-12

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sat Mar 16 14:56:19 UTC 2013

Hi Behan,

First of all, I'd like to thank you guys from working on the Linux side of
LLVM, this work has long been push back in the agenda of many companies as
"that will never happen", and you guys are proving all of them (and myself)
wrong. I really appreciate it.

Second, some introduction: So far, I'm the only LLVM guy at Linaro and am
obviously focused on stabilizing the LLVM correctness and performance
tests, so that we can start work on it without the fear of breaking things
that are working. This will also reassure your patches that they have been
properly tested in the open.

Not just for ARM, but some of the fixes I sent, and will send in the next
weeks also fixes x86 and PPC test-suites, getting them green as a quick and
dirty way of spotting regressions. Unfortunately, the other back-ends fixes
were "collateral damage", so I can't myself focus on getting them green as
well as ARM (though I'd like to).

Now, on to specific topics inline...

On 16 March 2013 00:48, Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com> wrote:

> *
>
>    - Behan:
>          - Helped with clang port of Linaro Android
>
> *

Thanks Behan, that was great! We were "under pressure" to have something
booting in less than a week and your help was fundamental to get there. We
managed to have a Nexus 7 booting with the LLVM Kernel + Dalvik + some libs
to show our member companies and our own. I think we managed to convince
more people that LLVM is serious business.

*

>    - Linaro team is investing on building Android with LLVM and publish
>             their comparison with GCC.
>
> *

Unfortunately, our benchmarks were tainted with GCC (basically everything
else). The results we got were extremely close to each other, maybe
indicating that the part compiled with LLVM didn't have much prime time in
terms of performance (or we're just lucky that all of it was at the same
performance level, which is unlikely).

So, not much to report so far, but there is a cross-team plan to get
Android built with LLVM in the long term. Sadly, not priority number one,
but something we'll not forget.

*

>    - LLVM 3.3 update
>

>     - Patches that must be sent upstream before LLVM 3.3
>
> *

Feel free to copy me on your patches to llvm-commits if they're related to
ARM in any way, and I'll be sure to review it as soon as possible. Though,
depending on which area it is, I won't be able to approve straight away,
but I can ping the right person within ARM or elsewhere.

Thanks for all the hard work!

cheers,
--renato