[llvmlinux] GSoC project ideas brainstorm

Tinti viniciustinti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 01:35:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Jan-Simon Möller <dl9pf at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to start a brainstorm session on topics for GSoC.  The org
> application phase starts now and we'll apply.
>
> I'd propose to have 3-5 ideas available with different level of difficulty:
>
> easy:
> -  beaglebone target / $board target  -  including upstreaming and
> bugfixing

Nice. Would be great specially for the new beaglebone.

> -  work on infra (build infra or buildbot/jenkins?)

Nice. But what exactly? Do we still need to use chroot? If we do, we could
work on fakeroot or the Yocto equivalent.

> -  ...

intermediate:
> -  Extend buildbot for x86

Nice.

> -  Add full ltp run with reporting

Nice.

> -  Add reporting of error/warning/msg statistics (how many warnings of
> type X)

Nice and very useful. Like a report at the end of the build: you have
warning X in the file.c:13 file3.c:19
Specially if this report could be stored by buildbot.

> -  ....
>
> hard:
> - checker

Do you mean the --emit-llvm and .bc? Yes, very good.

> - llvm macros, llvm + realmode

Nice. And how about llvm/clang self hosted (I mean try our builds from
llvm/clang built by llvm/clang)?

> - tracing, benchmarking, fix all errors in "make allyesconfig"

Nice.

> - ..

My suggestions:

easy:
- analyze common errors in mainline kernel and check if some of them could
be upstream. Once I found an ; in a if statement.

intermediate:
- run Android CTS test in Nexus 7 and check if it has some parts broken or
not. Try to fix the ones that are broken.
- llvm/clang self hosted.

hard:
- llvm/clang for u-boot. Would be nice to see what we get from these
projects.
- llvm/clang for buildroot. Same as before.

> Comments, ideas ?  We need to settle on 3-5 ideas in the end.
>
> Best,
> JS
>
> --
>
> Dipl.-Ing.
> Jan-Simon Möller
>
> jansimon.moeller at gmx.de

What do you think?

Best regards,
Tinti

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication