[llvmlinux] Errors building on OS X, and questions

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Fri Nov 8 02:25:43 UTC 2013

On 11/07/13 18:15, Rick Mann wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2013, at 18:11 , Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com>
wrote:

>> On 11/07/13 16:23, Tinti wrote:
>>>
>>> I would recommend you first build 'vexpress' target. If it works on OS
>>> X then try BeagleBone which by the way as far as I remember is not up
>>> to date.
>> The BeagleBone (White) target is indeed a work in progress. It requires
>> a LOT of patches since most of the BB patches aren't upstream yet.
>>
>> vexpress is indeed the right place to start.
>>
>> As far as your xargs errors, it is no doubt an incompatibility with
>> xargs on OSX and xargs on Linux. I probably used an option which isn't
>> available on the OSX version of xargs.
>>
>> Patches accepted! :)
>
> Thanks for chiming in. As you’ve probably noticed by now, I replied a
bit earlier with a link to my results for vexpress:
Yup. Already commented on it while you were writing this email.

> On Nov 7, 2013, at 17:29 , Rick Mann <rmann at latencyzero.com> wrote:
>
>>     http://pastebin.com/FuTSyxxF
>>
>> In particular, I think the first error is in "USB Miscellaneous
drivers”, "Error in reading or end of file.”

> I’ll eventually be targeting BeagleBone Black (not white), but let’s
get vexpress working first. I’ll happily offer patches, but right now I
don’t even know where to begin. I’m an expert iOS and OS X developer,
but I’m used to Xcode, not Makefiles and command-line tools.
Welcome to the trenches. I'm sure you'll find it's fun getting your
hands dirty. ;)

> No doubt the xargs issue (and others) are OS X-isms, and we’ll get to those, for sure.
Well, actually GNUisms. OSX typically uses older GNU, or BSD variants of
the command line tools. The Linux ones tend to be a lot newer and more
featureful. At least OSX has a decent command line however (since at
least it's darwin based), unlike that other OS. :)

I actually have a couple of OSX machines here, but I have never thought
of compiling our code on them since it wasn't really my focus, nor
problem space. But the project is always glad to have new people with
new ideas and motivations!

> I appreciate the help!
So do we (the LLVMLinux project. :) Welcome!

The BeagleBone target is one of my (many) pet projects, and hasn't
received enough love as of late... Certainly BBB support is also
important for my long term goals as well. I will need it for an embedded
Linux course I'm writing for the Linux Foundation. :)

Behan

- --
Behan Webster
behanw at converseincode.com