[llvmlinux] Android Kernel Package

Tinti viniciustinti at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 23:50:32 UTC 2013

Hi Renato,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I know you guys have buildbots and stuff, but I couldn't find a place
> where I could download the Android kernel zip, so I can flash a phone and
> boot to terminal. Or maybe that's asking too much for the moment... :D
>
> Basically, what I need is a Clang-compiled Android kernel that I can at
> least boot on some (any) device. The idea being that, once we have that on
> one device, we'll be able to run other tests with it, and eventually adding
> other Clang-compiled Android pieces to it, incrementally.

We have it for Nexus 7. The documentation is on this wiki
http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Nexus_7
I don't know if this is the default procedure know but I have seen that
AOSP is building the kernel OUTSIDE of Android build system and just adding
the binary file to the build system. On the other hand CyanogenMod do
exactly the opposite.

> I'd also want to incrementally add new devices, so that other people could
> test at home, or at their offices, CI systems, etc.
>
> I'm asking you guys because:
>  1. I don't have the expertise for building the Android kernel for
> specific devices

 2. You guys already have patches that make the kernel compile at all
> (right?)

Yeap. Nexus 7.

>  3. Checking out from a tree with the patches applied is ok, but would be
> good to know after which merge from AOSP, the tree is compiling, and I'm
> assuming the buildbots will tell you that.

We have some "checkpoints" which we know that the builds are ok. We would
need to build and see if the HEAD is working (following the Wiki
documentation without the checkpoint step).

> Did I get it right? Or am I just making things up?

You got it. But one thing that we would need to do is change Android build
system to use Clang and get a patched kernel. I dunno if it would be good
for AOSP inherit all LLVMLinux build system to handle the kernel.

> Let me know,
> --renato

Tinti

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication