[llvmlinux] Android Kernel Package

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Nov 12 10:16:00 UTC 2013

On 11 November 2013 23:50, Tinti <viniciustinti at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have it for Nexus 7. The documentation is on this wiki
> http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Nexus_7
> I don't know if this is the default procedure know but I have seen that
> AOSP is building the kernel OUTSIDE of Android build system and just adding
> the binary file to the build system. On the other hand CyanogenMod do
> exactly the opposite.

I see. We can't rely on CyanogenMod, we'll have to make it work with AOSP.

Your instructions seem like a bit of fidling, especially when finding the
"LLVMLinux approved commit" to revert to, but it should be feasible. I'll
talk to Bero if he can fit that into AOSP.

Yeap. Nexus 7.

So, at Linaro, we can't test Nexus 7 because it's NVidia, which is not a
Linaro member. I know it's silly, but I don't make the rules. Also, would
be good to have the main reference platform on something a bit more
friendly than a phone-factor. I'm thinking of using the new Arndale as the
standard (Octo-Big/Little Exynos 5 5420, 3GB RAM), but since the builds are
on a per-device basis, we might have to fiddle the LAVA jobs to use the
same process to produce different binaries.

I hope AOSP doesn't have any device-specific stuff, and it's only in the
kernel.

We have some "checkpoints" which we know that the builds are ok. We would
> need to build and see if the HEAD is working (following the Wiki
> documentation without the checkpoint step).

We have to work on making a check-point at least once a month, preferably
automatically.

> You got it. But one thing that we would need to do is change Android build
> system to use Clang and get a patched kernel. I dunno if it would be good
> for AOSP inherit all LLVMLinux build system to handle the kernel.

I agree this is not optimal. I was expecting to have separate builds from
the kernel and the system, so that we can mix&match.

cheers,
--renato