[llvmlinux] Android Kernel Package

Tinti viniciustinti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 10:33:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> On 11 November 2013 23:50, Tinti <viniciustinti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We have it for Nexus 7. The documentation is on this wiki
>> http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Nexus_7
>>  I don't know if this is the default procedure know but I have seen that
>> AOSP is building the kernel OUTSIDE of Android build system and just adding
>> the binary file to the build system. On the other hand CyanogenMod do
>> exactly the opposite.
>>

> I see. We can't rely on CyanogenMod, we'll have to make it work with AOSP.
>
> Your instructions seem like a bit of fidling, especially when finding the
> "LLVMLinux approved commit" to revert to, but it should be feasible. I'll
> talk to Bero if he can fit that into AOSP.

For me the good solution would be create a branch with LLVMLinux patches.
But it would be difficult for sure to manage updates. It would be great if
we could mimic the patch apply using quilt but I don't know if it is the
best for AOSP.

> Yeap. Nexus 7.
>>

> So, at Linaro, we can't test Nexus 7 because it's NVidia, which is not a
> Linaro member. I know it's silly, but I don't make the rules. Also, would
> be good to have the main reference platform on something a bit more
> friendly than a phone-factor. I'm thinking of using the new Arndale as the
> standard (Octo-Big/Little Exynos 5 5420, 3GB RAM), but since the builds are
> on a per-device basis, we might have to fiddle the LAVA jobs to use the
> same process to produce different binaries.
>
> I hope AOSP doesn't have any device-specific stuff, and it's only in the
> kernel.

There may be some device specific tricks. But if you already have a working
kernel for Android it should not be that difficult.

> We have some "checkpoints" which we know that the builds are ok. We would
>> need to build and see if the HEAD is working (following the Wiki
>> documentation without the checkpoint step).
>>

> We have to work on making a check-point at least once a month, preferably
> automatically.

Agreed.

>> You got it. But one thing that we would need to do is change Android
>> build system to use Clang and get a patched kernel. I dunno if it would be
>> good for AOSP inherit all LLVMLinux build system to handle the kernel.
>>

> I agree this is not optimal. I was expecting to have separate builds from
> the kernel and the system, so that we can mix&match.

That sounds reasonable. Both project will benefit from it.

> cheers,
> --renato

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication