[llvmlinux] Android Kernel Package

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Wed Nov 13 00:31:46 UTC 2013

On 11/12/13 02:38, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 12 November 2013 10:35, Tinti <viniciustinti at gmail.com
> <mailto:viniciustinti at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Boot.img contains the kernel inside itself. It will change as much
>     as you update the kernel. Currently boot.img is composed by:
>
>     - kernel (changes more often)
>     - rootfs (mainly configuration files change and very few binaries)
>     - kernel boot parameters
>

> Ok, so we need to compile them all the time, on a per-device basis.

Sadly yes. And each might need slightly tweaked patches. Most Android
devices have vendor supplied kernel trees (i.e. not mainline kernels).
So every Android kernel often needs the patches applied manually. :(

And not all of them work. We were unable to get the SIII kernel to work
for instance. I'm sure we will be able to, but after a few days of
trying we went with the Nexus 7 because it largely just worked with our
patches.

As for the hardware we used, we chose recognizable Android hardware
which we already had access to, and that we could easily take to
conferences.

Behan

--
Behan Webster