[llvmlinux] Multiple storage class error

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sun Nov 17 19:54:35 UTC 2013

On 17 November 2013 17:36, Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com> wrote:

>  Especially when you end up with large bodies of people using clang with
> the kernel code (and not just gcc).

They are there already, hidden behind closed doors in big companies. As
soon as we enable them to come out of the closet, there will be a boom of
requests. Or so the legend says... ;)

> As far as icc is concerned we don't have the means to test our patches
> with it. The reality is that, while most devs are aware of icc, almost none
> of them give icc any thought when it comes to their code. Since few have
> access to icc, the feeling seems to be that if code breaks for icc, someone
> else will fix it. This is hardly ideal.

Intel is the biggest contributor for the kernel code, they have the means
of testing it, and they sure do that internally. This is how Apple works
with LLVM, too.

However, Linaro is now the second largest contributor, so convincing Linaro
to use LLVM for the kernel will also help tremendously. We're starting with
Android, since Google is betting all their chips on it, and Linaro members
will have to follow. After that, getting the current kernel to compile will
be our next step. Having the ChromeOS folks to get on the same LLVM train
will make our lives *a lot* easier. ;)

cheers,
--renato