[llvmlinux] Multiple storage class error

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Sun Nov 17 20:15:33 UTC 2013

On 11/17/13 11:54, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 17 November 2013 17:36, Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com
> <mailto:behanw at converseincode.com>> wrote:
>
>     Especially when you end up with large bodies of people using clang
>     with the kernel code (and not just gcc).
>

> They are there already, hidden behind closed doors in big companies.
> As soon as we enable them to come out of the closet, there will be a
> boom of requests. Or so the legend says... ;)
Sadly, until they come out and can be seen, they don't exist as far as
the community is concerned. It's important for them to speak out. But
you know that. :)

>     As far as icc is concerned we don't have the means to test our
>     patches with it. The reality is that, while most devs are aware of
>     icc, almost none of them give icc any thought when it comes to
>     their code. Since few have access to icc, the feeling seems to be
>     that if code breaks for icc, someone else will fix it. This is
>     hardly ideal.
>

> Intel is the biggest contributor for the kernel code, they have the
> means of testing it, and they sure do that internally. This is how
> Apple works with LLVM, too.
Even Kernel devs from Intel don't seem to have much to with it, so who
knows. I would hope so.

> However, Linaro is now the second largest contributor, so convincing
> Linaro to use LLVM for the kernel will also help tremendously. We're
> starting with Android, since Google is betting all their chips on it,
> and Linaro members will have to follow. After that, getting the
> current kernel to compile will be our next step. Having the ChromeOS
> folks to get on the same LLVM train will make our lives *a lot* easier. ;)
Having Linaro and the various Linux based Google projects using clang
for the kernel will definitely help tremendously. :)

Though both groups of people will have more impact in the embedded, and
mobile uses of the kernel. Much of the server/cloud/Enterprise guys
still need to be convinced that clang is worth trying. But we're getting
there...

behanw at converseincode.com