[llvmlinux] build and link .bc kernel

Cristian Zamfir cristian.zamfir at epfl.ch
Tue Nov 26 13:32:32 UTC 2013

> A vmlinux.bc file seems of dubious utility to me. But what do I know?

I want to use it for static analysis. For this, the .bc files
corresponding to the .o files might be good enough.  I know it is not
the reason why llvmlinux exists, but it is a very useful by-product.
It could also be useful within S2E (https://s2e.epfl.ch/), which
currently translates basic blocks of x86 to LLVM on demand as they
execute on the CPU. The generated LLVM is much larger than the
equivalent LLVM that one would obtain with --emit-llvm, so this would
improve S2E's performance.

Cristi