[llvmlinux] Compile LLVM/Clang for ARM android

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Oct 16 12:49:52 UTC 2013

On 16 October 2013 12:27, Tinti <viniciustinti at gmail.com> wrote:

> The LLVMLinux project is more related to build Linux Kernel or Android
> Kernel *with* LLVM/Clang and not to provide LLVM/Clang *for being used*
> inside Linux or Android. If you are trying to build a toolchain for Android
> I would recommend you to ask in LLVM maillist,

Hi Vinicius,

Anton is trying to do that for a few weeks without success. He read all the
docs and discussed with many people in the LLVM/Clang community, but no one
seems to be able to help him. I thought that here, there could be people
trying to build Clang for Android, or at least people with the knowledge on
both systems, Android and LLVM, which might help him with his goals (or at
least say why it's not possible).

The documents I wrote on LLVM+ARM assume Linux (both native or cross), not
Android, and the latter is quite a beast to tame. Unfortunately, I don't
have the knowledge, or the bandwidth to look at it right now, and the
chances of getting another person to work on LLVM/Android was pushed down
2014, so I thought some of you guys could give it a try and see if it's
just a simple misunderstanding from our part, or if it's really a hard nut
to crack.

Poor Anton has read all docs and manuals, and he's even came up with some
good progress reports (his first email) on what doesn't work. If he can't
do it now, I hope I'll be able to continue where he left next year. If you
guys manage to help him, I'd like to extract a doc page on LLVM for that,
if it's not asking too much.

I'll talk to Bero during Connect (in two weeks) to see if he has any idea.
This could be our side project for the week, though I can't promise
anything...

cheers,
--renato