[llvmlinux] Compile LLVM/Clang for ARM android

Tinti viniciustinti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:40:32 UTC 2013

Hi Renato and Anton,

I can't promise anything too but I will try to do it with Nexus 7. I hope
it is not that complicated because I am not used too autotools too but I
understand a bit more of CMake.

I will keep you up to date. But I still think it is not the main topic of
this maillist.

Regards,
Tinti

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Anton Smirnov <dev at antonsmirnov.name>wrote:

>  I think it's just because i don't have enough knowledge of
> autotools/cmake and toolchains and that's possible for the people who know
> all that stuff.
> So i hope it can be done
>

> 2013/10/16 Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
>
>> On 16 October 2013 12:27, Tinti <viniciustinti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The LLVMLinux project is more related to build Linux Kernel or Android
>>> Kernel *with* LLVM/Clang and not to provide LLVM/Clang *for being used*
>>> inside Linux or Android. If you are trying to build a toolchain for Android
>>> I would recommend you to ask in LLVM maillist,
>>>

>> Hi Vinicius,
>>
>> Anton is trying to do that for a few weeks without success. He read all
>> the docs and discussed with many people in the LLVM/Clang community, but no
>> one seems to be able to help him. I thought that here, there could be
>> people trying to build Clang for Android, or at least people with the
>> knowledge on both systems, Android and LLVM, which might help him with his
>> goals (or at least say why it's not possible).
>>
>> The documents I wrote on LLVM+ARM assume Linux (both native or cross),
>> not Android, and the latter is quite a beast to tame. Unfortunately, I
>> don't have the knowledge, or the bandwidth to look at it right now, and the
>> chances of getting another person to work on LLVM/Android was pushed down
>> 2014, so I thought some of you guys could give it a try and see if it's
>> just a simple misunderstanding from our part, or if it's really a hard nut
>> to crack.
>>
>> Poor Anton has read all docs and manuals, and he's even came up with some
>> good progress reports (his first email) on what doesn't work. If he can't
>> do it now, I hope I'll be able to continue where he left next year. If you
>> guys manage to help him, I'd like to extract a doc page on LLVM for that,
>> if it's not asking too much.
>>
>> I'll talk to Bero during Connect (in two weeks) to see if he has any
>> idea. This could be our side project for the week, though I can't promise
>> anything...
>>
>> cheers,
>> --renato

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication