[llvmlinux] cross-compiling llvm/clang for android

Anton Smirnov dev at antonsmirnov.name
Thu Sep 26 08:54:23 UTC 2013

Hi, Renato.

2013/9/26 Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>

> On 26 September 2013 07:46, Anton Smirnov <dev at antonsmirnov.name> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to cross-compile clang to run on Android devices (both arm and
>> x86).
>> I've read "getting started" <http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html> (including
>> cross-compilation section) and all the websites about clang
>> cross-compilation that i was able to find.
>>

> Hi Anton,
>
> FYI, there are two new docs:
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/CrossCompilation.html
> http://llvm.org/docs/HowToCrossCompileLLVM.html
>
> But they won't help you with your problem.

Okay, i will read them anyway.

> I'll link them from the Getting Started section on cross-compilation to
> make it more accessible.
>

>  the problem is that macosx ld does not support "--version-script"
>> parameter.
>> this seems to relate to cross-compilation only as compilation for host
>> system lasts much longer and i believe it's okay.
>>

> Either this is a bug in Apple's ld, or it's an unnecessary option of the
> Android build system. Other folks in this list will be able to give you a
> good answer on how to fix this.

This is not "bug" i believe since i was able to find similar problems in
other projects and they are solved by additional checking -
for apple command line just does not have this parameter. Also i don't have
problem for compilation for host system. It means
that it is taken into account, but it's missed for cross-compilation.

That's why i believe it's bug.