[llvmlinux] [i586] Boot issues

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Thu Sep 26 11:25:05 UTC 2013

On 09/18/13 13:26, Ghitulete Razvan wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am working on a project and I currently need to compile and boot a
> x86 kernel (hence i586). I managed to compile it, but when I try to
> boot it up it freezes up somewhere in the start_kernel() function.
> Couldn't exactly pinpoint where due to the fact that the console
> doesn't get to output anything.
I believe that the x86 build is currently broken using mainline llvm.
Several of us have mostly been using llvm 3.3 recently in our kernel
patch upstreaming efforts since it is the compiler that kernel devs will
be using for now.

> On the host machine I see that the VM process is at 100% CPU, so I
> assume it has anything to do with an infinite loop, somewhere. Does
> anybody have any ideas?
>

> Also, as a side note I am using VMware. Has anybody managed to bootup
> inside VMware? At some point I was thinking this might have something
> to do with the virtual hardware simulated by VMware, since the `crash`
> is quite early in the bootup phase.
I'd be surprised if booting under VMware works at all. Several of the
VMware kernel options need to be disabled in order to compile the kernel
with LLVM. Getting virtualization working properly is a longer term goal.

This is a long process, there is still a lot of drivers to fix to get
the kernel to work completely with clang/llvm in all configurations.

Sorry,

Behan

--
Behan Webster