[llvmlinux] Patch to export build variables

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Thu Sep 26 11:46:30 UTC 2013

On 09/26/13 07:34, Tinti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I merge this patch? I do it quite often to do my tests and I think
> it might be useful for some one.

Patches direct in email, not as attachments please. It makes patch
review 10x faster, and means people can comment directly on your code.
git-send-email is the best tool for the job.

However, having said that, I see what you're trying to do.

- I'm not happy with the name of "export". Maybe change it to
"export-build-parameters"? It's long, but that's what tab completion is
for. ;)
- You don't need to do the seperate patch step, the configure will make
sure the kernel is patched.
- You should be doing a "cd ${KERNEL_BUILD}" and "cd ${KERNELGCC_BUILD}"
in order to not break things for people using the tmpfs-build system
(which builds the kernel out-of-tree on a tmpfs in order to speed
compiles, and not wear out SSD drives).
- It also might be worth adding the ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE directives to
the kernel make command line. We do it as an env variable in the
LLVMLinux build system for convenience. But when you do it at the
command line its better form to do it as a part of the make command
(makes those settings explicit). Or at least that's my opinion. :)

behanw at converseincode.com