[llvmlinux] ARM -mfpu=-softvfp+vfp

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Feb 20 10:09:28 UTC 2014

Behan et al.

I have had long discussions about this issue and the conclusion is this:

* In GNU tools -mfpu=*fp* means: use FP AND change to hard-float ABI.
* The original meaning of softvfp+vfp was that it should use FP
instructions (but VFP instead of the, then default, FPA) but not
change the float ABI.

Since we don't support FPA instructions in LLVM, and GCC will not emit
them by default, and we now have -mfloat-abi=softfp, the flag is no
longer relevant and we can simply remove it.

The only reason it might still be in, as Ramana pointed out, is to
work around very old binutils bugs regarding build attributes and
linking soft+hard objects together. In the case where removing the
flag introduces undesirable behaviour, we should fix that behaviour
instead, not continue using an ad-hoc outdated and deprecated flag.

cheers,
--renato