[llvmlinux] Proposal for new naming convention to targets

Tinti viniciustinti at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 15:06:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to propose a new naming convention for our targets to address
some name problems that we may have (soon). Currently, for instance, we
just use 'beaglebone' to refer the BeagleBone board. But it does not say
some key points:

- Which architecture? (arm, arm64, x86. x86_64)
- Which target system? (Linux, Android)
- How to handle name collision? (Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013)
- Which abi? (armhf, armel)
- Which system flavor? (AOSP, Cyanogenmod, Linaro, Yocto)

Some of these questions may not be that important but the first three are.
Thus I would like to propose the following convention:

<arch>[<abi>]-<system/flavor>-<name>[_year]

For example BeagleBone, vexpress, vexpress64, i586 and x86_64 would become:

arm-linux-beaglebone
arm-linux-vexpress
arm64-linux-vexpress
x86-linux-pc
x86_64-linux-pc

For BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi we may need to add the "abi" since they can
use both:

arm-linux-beaglebone
armhf-linux-beaglebone
arm-linux-rpi
armhf-linux-rpi

For adding a specific system we could replace the system for the flavor:

arm-linux-nexus7
arm-cyanogenmod-nexus7
arm-yocto-nexus7

Changing the name probably will break the "checkpoint" feature. Hence what
I would suggest it to keep the old name and add the new one with an year
suffix.

arm-linux-nexus7
arm-linux-nexus7_13

What do you think? I appreciate any suggestion or better conventions for
this. Specially for the ABI point of view.

If we could always split by only '-' we could do even some cool operations
such list all x86 targets, test all arm targets and so forth.

Regards,
Tinti

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication