[llvmlinux] Added patch for detection of compilers that support unwind for ARM. Now clang is detected.

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Tue Jan 28 18:34:31 UTC 2014

On 01/28/14 04:29, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 13:19 +0100, Jan-Simon Möller wrote:
>> http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=llvmlinux/kernel.git;a=summary
> Hm, that appears to be empty, containing nothing but a Linus tree from
> about 5 months ago?
>
> Oh, I see that bizarrely its master branch is useless but there's a
> 'llvmlinux-2013.09.04' branch which is actually what the master should
> have been?
The llvmlinux/kernel.git repo was intended primarily as a vehicle to
pre-apply our patches to linus's tree to be able to lower the bar for
people to try out the LLVMLinux patches. The idea was (rightly or
wrongly) to keep snapshots of all our patches in branches. Most
contributors to LLVMLinux work only on their own arch, so the branch in
this above repo contains all the patches from all working arches in one
place.

> But that contains things which *can't* go upstream such as
> http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=llvmlinux/kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=1126936c84
> which is purely a workaround for PR3997, isn't it?
We don't pretend that all the patches are ready for upstreaming. Some
are, some aren't. That branch is meant for people to try, not to merge
upstream.

However, your suggestion of a branch meant specifically for upstreaming
simple patches is great. I will put together a for-next or for-linus
branch for that reason.

> You couldn't send that tree to Linus today, or even put it in linux-next
> without triggering a lot of complaints, surely?
Indeed. Which is why we haven't. We don't have proper solutions for
everything yet (though we're getting closer). The project freely admits
that there are still some work-arounds still looking for a better solution.

> There's definitely merit in sending the simple and straightforward
> *fixes* upstream under separate cover, as quickly as they're generated.
Then we should start doing so. Thanks for the suggestion. Can I ask you
to be a reviewer for such a repo?

behanw at converseincode.com