[llvmlinux] Added patch for detection of compilers that support unwind for ARM. Now clang is detected.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jan 29 16:20:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 10:34 -0800, Behan Webster wrote:
> > You couldn't send that tree to Linus today, or even put it in linux-next
> > without triggering a lot of complaints, surely?
> Indeed. Which is why we haven't. We don't have proper solutions for
> everything yet (though we're getting closer). The project freely admits
> that there are still some work-arounds still looking for a better solution.

And that's absolutely sane. But I think it's useful to keep tabs on what
we do have — where we have patches which are sane for upstream they
should be pushed that way as rapidly as possible, and where we have
workarounds for LLVM they should clearly identify the PR# that they
address. Looking through the patches we have at the moment, it's
sometimes hard to tell what's being fixed, and why.

For example,
/arch/i586/patches/9004_fix_for_edx_register_on_64_bit_as_suggested_by_hpa.patch
gives me *no* context about what the problem is or where to find the
existing discussion about it.

> > There's definitely merit in sending the simple and straightforward
> > *fixes* upstream under separate cover, as quickly as they're generated.
> Then we should start doing so. Thanks for the suggestion. Can I ask you
> to be a reviewer for such a repo?

Yeah, absolutely. If you want to let me have simple patches with a clear
commit comment I can certainly shepherd those upstream.

--
dwmw2