[llvmlinux] Unmatching Arch String for Aarch64/arm64

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Jan 30 10:07:08 UTC 2014

On 30 January 2014 02:17, <zhaoshiz at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> It seems linux kernel use arm64 as the arch string for 64-bit ARM. But
> llvm uses aarch64. As a result, when using native clang, build fails by
> hitting this error: "Your native clang does not have arm64 support".

Hi Zhaoshi,

The kernel is wrong in their nomenclature. AArch64 is the official name and
should be used in all places to refer to all 64-bit ARM variants.

GCC also uses the same (correct) nomenclature, so I'm surprised that the
kernel decided to go with the wrong name...

I tried to substitute arm64 with aarch64 in clang-native.mk but had no luck.

I don't know the kernel build well enough, but not many people are building
the Linux kernel for v8 in the open (lack of hardware is severe). If no one
knows the answer here, I suggest you ask on the Linaro kernel list:
linaro-kernel at lists.linaro.org.

cheers,
--renato