[llvmlinux] Unmatching Arch String for Aarch64/arm64

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Jan 30 18:00:27 UTC 2014

On 30 January 2014 17:53, Behan Webster <behanw at converseincode.com> wrote:

>  Quite frankly most of the people I talk to think that "AArch64" was a
> bizarre choice as the official name; most people I've met think "arm64" is
> a much more descriptive and sane name. The kernel community has a habit of
> naming things what they think they should have been called...

If anything, "arm64" is easier to say out loud. Any other argument is
meaningless, since they'll all end up as strings on a path or a file that
will be auto-completed with TAB.

The kernel community has the habit of calling whatever they want, and
that's not always "sane". Least of all, it causes confusion.

compilers tend to follow architectural names; paths in the kernel do not
> have to. They chose a name which makes more sense to the wider development
> community.

I don't buy this argument... we're still using x86_64 (which is a pain to
type), but what do I know... ;)

--renato