[llvmlinux] Unmatching Arch String for Aarch64/arm64

PaX Team pageexec at freemail.hu
Thu Jan 30 22:09:43 UTC 2014

On 30 Jan 2014 at 10:34, Behan Webster wrote:

> > I don't buy this argument... we're still using x86_64 (which is a pain
> > to type), but what do I know... ;)
> Agreed. That is also a stupid name, though at least it is descriptive
> and obvious. But since the port was done primarily by Intel, they chose
> it...

offtopic but intel did exactly nothing for what became known as x86_64,
it was all amd's initiative and work with various vendors (MS & SuSE at
least) that resulted in support in their respective OSs (with SuSE moving
their work upstream of course). amd foolishly didn't seize the opportunity
to name their new arch properly, amd64 came long after x86_64/x86-64/etc
got established in source code and other literature and that's what we're
stuck with (but many still refer to it as amd64).