[llvmlinux] how can i get a set of patches for the specific version linux kernel (e.g. 3.11.1)

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Mon Nov 24 18:05:40 UTC 2014

On 11/22/14 07:48, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM, remember?you <1041383200 at qq.com> wrote:
>> my platform is x86_64.i use clang3.5 to compile linux kernel 3.11.1 applied
>> with x86 patches provided in the llvmlinux main page.But it seems like the
>> patches are just for the higher linux kernel version,there are a lot of
>> dismatch  for the version 3.11.1.Is there a corresponding set of patches for
>> the specific linux kernel version(e.g 3.11.1).if it is available,how can i
>> get it ?
>>
>> Are there any suggestions about how to get the solution when i encounter
>> compilation problem with clang?like some forums for question and answer,or
>> blog ,or site. because i find the llvmlinux IRC  is very silent.
>> where can i go for the patches to the specific linux kernel version?
>>
> Hi,
>
> I suggested to support longterm-kernels (see [1]) in the LLVMLinux project.
> The philosophy is more to support "mainline" (Git) for toolchain and
> Linux-kernel.
Not so much philosophy as what people are interested in working on. Most
of the contributors want to see the support upstream.

With the kernel git tree now hosting patch sets for specific kernel
versions is much easier (which you did indeed suggest before) if anyone
wants to backport the patchset (considering the newer clang doesn't need
the patches to LLVM/clang that were necessary at the time of kernel 3.11)

> Linux-3.11.y is definitely not a LTS kernel series.
> Why do you need that special version?
+1

Perhaps he's using a vendor kernel tree? You can't always choose the
version you want to use if you're stuck with a vendor tree. :(

behanw at converseincode.com