[llvmlinux] Functions marked with __weak directives are linked in after the _etext symbol

Jason Gionta jjgionta at ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 25 15:33:19 UTC 2014

Thank you very much for your valuable insights. I was unaware of ftrace and
kprobes run-time modifications of kernel code so it's best to disregard my
write/vulnerability comment until I can test the issue further.

It seems from your comment that the actual bug might not lie with clang or
llvm but with the x86 linker script generated by the build
(arch/x86/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S).

I have patched the LLVMLinker script to include the catch all *(.text.*). I
am not sure if this is the correct fix. Both ld.bfd and ld.gold produce the
same layout.

--
Jason Gionta
Cyber Defense Lab