[llvmlinux] Compiling sources from llvmlinux/kernel.git

Juan Simón decedion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 11:53:17 UTC 2014

Hi,
I've followed the instructions on main page to compile the kernel with
clang on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits:

   1. Get the latest SVN version of clang (version 3.5 from PPA)
   2. Get the kernel pacthed from "git clone
   git://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git"
   3. Execute: "export HOSTCC=clang CC=clang"
   4. From here I compile the kernel at Ubuntu way to obtain DEB packages:
      1. I patched the kernel with the patches in
      http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.18-rc6-vivid/
      2. cp /boot/config-`uname -r`
      debian.master/config/amd64/config.flavour.i7
      3. fakeroot debian/rules clean
      4. debian/rules editconfigs
      5. fakeroot debian/rules clean
      6. fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-i7 binary-arch-headers

I install the generated deb packages without problems.

This i7 flavour it has:

CONFIG_MCORE2=y

and it's patched with:

-cflags-$(CONFIG_MCORE2)        += -march=i686 $(call tune,core2)
+cflags-$(CONFIG_MCORE2)        += -march=native $(call tune,native)

My doubts are:

   1. Is this kernel really compiled with clang? The compilation process
   shows in console a lot of warnings typical of clang but when I execute "cat
   /proc/version", after reboot with the new kernel version, it shows: "Linux
   version 3.18.0-031800rc6-i7 (root at X58A-UD5) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu
   4.8.2-19ubuntu1) )"
   2. What's the kernel version in
   git://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git? In LLVMLinux main
   page <http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page> it says:
   "Alternatively you can use the LLVMLinux kernel tree (recent mainline with
   latest LLVMLinux patches applied)" but when I execute "debian/rules
   editconfigs" it shows 3.17.0 in top of console and the git page shows
   <http://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git/> that the last
   change was at 15 Oct 2014.