[llvmlinux] How to build the kernel with Clang?

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Wed Sep 24 18:55:45 UTC 2014

On 09/18/14 21:10, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Hi Clang folks,
>

> I'd like to know the status of Clang support
> in the Linux mainline.
Still a work in progress.  You still need to use the LLVMLinux patches
on top of mainline to get it to work. We're upstreaming those patches as
fast as we can.

> I can see some "clang" specific parts in makefiles,
> so I guess Clang is already supported to a certain extent.
Some of the required parts are there. But mainline currently won't
compile out of the box with clang.

> I just tried to build with "HOSTCC=clang CC=clang"
> but it would not work.
>
> Is there any tips I am missing here?
Try building from our kernel repo listed on http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org

Thanks,