[llvmlinux] Compiling LLVM and Clang with Cygwin 32

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Mon Jan 19 02:08:36 UTC 2015

On 01/17/15 15:02, geist1122 at juno.com wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> This is my first email/posting..
>
> What I am trying to do is get/have a successful compiling of the
> LLVM/Clang programs with Clang..
> What I have tried it first compiling with GCC and C++ and then I have
> tried with the Cygwin Clang compiler..

Don't bother with all these compiler versions. I'm afraid we also
haven't tried to compile the kernel on top of windows. You may have more
luck compiling the kernel from within a Linux VM on your Windows machine.

Otherwise use the latest clang compiled yourself from source for the
best success. There ends up being new features in clang that we require
going forward in order to be compatible with gcc. And make sure you use
our patched kernel git repository (We're still upstreaming patches):

git://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git

If you're using gcc, you pretty much only want to use gcc 4.8 at this point.

In both cases we are compiling the kernel to object code only.

Although some people are compiling to LLIR for their own reasons, this
project is concentrating on having the kernel work as object code
compiled with clang as an alternative to using gcc.

behanw at converseincode.com