[llvmlinux] Compiling LLVM and Clang with Cygwin 32

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Mon Jan 19 03:11:24 UTC 2015

On 01/18/15 18:35, geist1122 at juno.com wrote:
> Hi All;
> Behan, Thank You for Your Response..
>
> "" Don't bother with all these compiler versions. ""
> I am just trying to find a version that will compile itself with NO
> Errors..
I think you mean "no reported errors".

> The Best combination so far, is the Cygwin Clang ver 3.4.2 compiling
> LLVM/Clang 3.2..
Older versions of clang may appear to work, but we don't guarantee they
do. There have been updates only available in the released 3.5 code
base, and newer ones in the upcoming 3.6 verison of clang which will be
required to successfully compile and run the Linux kernel.

Older versions may have fewer warnings, but that only means we haven't
fixed the new warnings that the more recent versions of clang are now
finding. The problems were there before; the older versions of clang
just didn't warn about them at the time (or we had those warnings
disabled in the kernel Makefile).

> ""  And make sure you use
> our patched kernel git repository (We're still upstreaming patches):
>
> git://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git  ""
>
> So, far this goes nowhere, could be a typing mistake, or I don't know
> how to use it..
That is a git URL. You need to clone the code first.

git clone git://git.linuxfoundation.org/llvmlinux/kernel.git

> "" In both cases we are compiling the kernel to object code only. ""
> That's exactly what I am interested in..
Apologies. You mentioned the JIT. Historically only those interested in
looking at the LLIR mention that part of clant. :)

behanw at converseincode.com