[llvmlinux] LLVMLinux Meeting 2016-05-31

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Fri Jun 17 23:29:47 UTC 2016

LLVMLinux Project: http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/ <http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/>
This time the meeting was on Tuesday, May 31 2016 on Google Plus Hangout at 16:00 UTC.

HANGOUT:
Agenda for this week:

(5 mins total) Everyone shared a quick summary of the progress they've made from the last 4 weeks
Bero
Hikey kernel now booting to UI with AOSP and v4.4 kernel
Andrew
Setup GSoC project with clang static checker
Jan-Simon
Started working on Jenkins
(45 mins) General meeting discussions:
GSoC
Emailed LLVMLinux and clang dev mailing lists
Checker works for some systems code, but most checkers aren’t relevant
Suggestion that malloc/free, and printf checkers can be trivially modified to work with kernel code
Progress on hikey
Has v4.4 kernel working for AOSP but still running into general instability likely due to code issues which were hidden by gcc, or code which isn’t entirely portable to clang
Android microconf at Plumbers
Looking for talk on Android kernel port
Bero will likely propose a talk
But anyone is free to propose a microconf talk for the various microconfs
LLVM track at PLumbers
Behan doesn’t have time to run the LLVM microconf this year
If anyone else is interested, there is likely still time to organize one
Wei Wei
Using LLVMLinux for his research
Using LLIR from the kernel for his analysis
MIPS
LLVMLinux now builds with IAS for 32-bit MIPS and IAS is the default for 32-bit MIPS. I have some refreshed patches to push to the repo but I need to rebase first and someone who knows ARM should take a look at a couple of them before I push them.

Reminders from last month’s meeting
Patch Triage spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2VHhaw1DTqdERLUDBmVlpiY2pUNUlLa1k3ck1Zc1E&usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2VHhaw1DTqdERLUDBmVlpiY2pUNUlLa1k3ck1Zc1E&usp=sharing>
These need looking at based on Bero’s recent work
CI builds
Should the project move from buildbot to jenkins for our own CI builds? Jan-Simon will investigate this
Kernel trees
Moving forward patches should be posted to the llvmlinux mailing list
We should set up a patchwork (as suggested by Sedat)
We’re at a point where the llvmlinux build system probably isn’t required anymore other than perhaps for CI builds. (most changes are in clang now, and we’re only really just building the kernel these days)
People working on arch dependent patches should upstream through the normal maintainers
Any patches to core code/infrastructure can go through the existing llvmlinux repo
We’ll concentrate on rebasing Bero’s work as well as looking at what other patches are still required.
Getting the tree back into linux-next is the first order of business after that
Links
http://himvis.com/clang-based-cross-sdk-with-openembedded-framework/ <http://himvis.com/clang-based-cross-sdk-with-openembedded-framework/>
http://himvis.com/using-clang-with-openembeddedyocto-project/ <http://himvis.com/using-clang-with-openembeddedyocto-project/>
https://kernelci.org/ <https://kernelci.org/>
https://github.com/kraj/meta-clang/tree/master/recipes-devtools/clang/clang <https://github.com/kraj/meta-clang/tree/master/recipes-devtools/clang/clang>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org <http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/>
Docker images:
Bero has a docker image to build hikey
docker run -ti bero/hikey-kernel-clang
Vinicius also has a docker image for our existing build system
OE/Yocto/meta-clang
We need to add recipes to build the kernel in OE (meta-llvmlinux perhaps to be merged into meta-clang eventually)
New wordpress based website
We have a Wordpress instance in the LF cloud now http://llvm-wp-new.linuxfound.info/ <http://llvm-wp-new.linuxfound.info/>
Still needs to be updated with relevant info
MIPS
Daniel has been working on getting IA working for MIPS upstream
Works for MIPS, more work needed on MIPS64
X86/X86_64
IA needs to be investigated for X86/X86_64
arm/aarch64
We should investigate whether AARCH64 inline ASM uses UAL which would allow us to use the Integrated-Assembler
GSoC
1 proposal and 1 student interested
Waiting for available slot
Clang static analyser
(5 mins) Each meeting attendee listed the top 2 items to be worked on for the next 2 weeks
Behan
Rebuild LLVMlinux git tree
Bero
Working on clang based hikey tree
Rebase patches to master
Jan-Simon
Rebuilding x86 patch set
Jenkins
Vinícius Tinti
pulling thing from the wiki to wordpress
Bryan
Would like to work on docker for LLVMLinux
Khem
Working on clang sdk from meta-clang
Work on clang builds for OE
Andrew
Get Checkers for kernel on cfe list working

Next meeting in roughly 4 weeks. doodle poll to follow.

behanw at converseincode.com