[llvmlinux] GSoC - LLVMLinux project

Cristina-Gabriela Moraru cristina.moraru09 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 21:24:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

Alexander, thank you for the tips.

KASAN is an interesting tool but I would like to learn more about program
analysis, thus I think the most suitable project for me is LLVM - static
analysis for the kernel code (the second project proposal from [1]). I
would like to start working on it to familiarize with the code. Is there
any introductory / concrete task I could start working on ? I have checked
the bug list [2] and the only checker bug appears to be completed. Also, is
there a contact person that could be my mentor for this project ? Also, I
understand from a previous email that a project proposal should appear on
the website [3] and I don't see LLVMLinux as a project for 2016 GSoC
edition.

[1] http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/GSoC
[2] http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Bugs
[3] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc

Thank you,
Cristina

> Hi Christina,
>
> 2 cents regarding KASAN.
> The tool works more or less out of the box with LLVMLinux (at least it
> used to half a year ago), so if you choose that topic you'll need some
> actual problem to solve.
> Most likely you will end up dealing with some Clang-specific stuff
> (e.g. miscompilations or gcc-isms in the kernel code), which has
> little to do with KASAN itself.
>
> HTH,
> Alex
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:22 AM, Cristina-Gabriela Moraru
> <cristina.moraru09 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I want to work on this project as I consider it very interesting. My
>> experience is primary in Linux Kernel but I want to learn more about
>> compilers and program analysis. I would like to work on a project that
>> integrates both topics. The checker and ASAN sound good to me. Also, from
>> the proposed topics[1], I find the 2) LLVM - static analysis and 3)
Kernel
>> the most interesting. Where to you suggest to start changing some code to
>> warm-up and familiarize with the project ?
>>
>> [1] http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/GSoC
>>
>> Cristina

>>> Hi Christina,
>>>

>>> great you're interested in llvmlinux. If you want to work on the project
>>> we can set up a project proposal here:
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc
>>>

>>> There's a lot to do on all fronts from checking with the latest kernel
>>> enabling more configuration options and solving issues in the kernel
code.

>>> But also things like checker and ASAN can be topics.
>>>

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Jan-Simon

Romania

LLVMLinux