[llvmlinux] Kernel clang patches rebased to master

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Fri May 12 09:55:19 UTC 2017

Hi,

looks like Linux v4.12-rc1 will have a nice collection of clang
patches, see [1].
IMHO this can be a good base.

Personally, I gave some help to get Linux v4.4.y-LTS running on x86-64
bare metal to some people in private.

There are still some severe show-stoppers for x86-64: mcount-x86 and eflags-x86.
The latter is a known issue.
For more details see [2].

I have no experiences with clang-4.0 which seems to cause new issues.
clang 3.9.1 is a good base.

The llvmlinux project tend to support latest Git stuff.
This is/was IMHO no good base.

So what is your "good base" in case of toolchain and Linux-kernel version?

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?qt=grep&q=clang
[2] https://davejingtian.org/2016/03/12/gcc-llvm-and-linux-kernel/