GNOME Window Manager

Waldo Bastian bastian at ens.ascom.ch
Tue Dec 8 01:56:15 PST 1998

> Robert Current <rob at current.nu> writes:
>
> > About a seperate standard orginization for GUI (X), any word?
> > Who's been contacted, and by who, and what have they had to say?
> >
> > "GNOME Window Manager Compliance Spec" on SlashDot has launched another
> > KDE vs. GNOME flame war.  And it seems that they are moving farther away
> > from common ground now, creating "standards" on thier own without a
> > round table discussion with members from other camps.
> >
> > I'd be interested to hear what progress has been made on bring them
> > together, rather than the "flame bait" on slashdot.

The comments on slashdot are a very unreliable source of information.

One of the authors of KWM (KDE's Window Manager) commented on the
kde-list
on this issue. Basically KWM supports most of the hints listed in the
GNOME
spec, for details please look up the 'kde' list-archive at
lists.kde.org.

Inspired by the Gnome Spec, one of the KDE-developers is working hard to
get a KDE Window Mangager spec out as well. Although the two specs are
different in some areas, it should not be too hard to make a
window-manager
which is both Gnome- and KDE-aware. I expect that the most popular WMs
will have support for both in the not so far future.

Cheers,
Waldo Bastian
bastian at kde.org
--