/mnt/cdrom, /m/cdrom, etc.

Keld J|rn Simonsen keld at dkuug.dk
Tue Apr 6 16:04:44 PDT 1999

I have seen some good suggestions here, on having
either a /vol directory or a /m directory to keep mounted devices,
leaving /mnt for temporary mounts as done in historic practice.

I would still like to advocate that we do naming for the mount ponits
like cd fd win/a win/b jazz etc, just like there are standard names
in /dev.  This could benefit novice users a lot, with
having installscripts determining these automatically and put it
in fstab, so their systems were fully capable of accessing these
standard devices from day one, and also utilities like wine
could be installed without problems for novice users.

I have seen a number of novice users not being able to do this,
or only able after quite some time spent, and consulting.

Keld