are you using /var/mail?

Stuart Anderson anderson at metrolink.com
Wed Jan 20 12:41:12 PST 1999

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> There is speculation that /var/spool/mail has remained the "real"
> standard for Linux despite what FHS 2.0 says.
>
> If you are a Linux developer/distribution/company/etc. currently using
> /var/mail (as specified in FHS 2.0) instead of /var/spool/mail, please
> let me know.  I think glibc 2.1 has made the change to _PATH_MAILDIR in
> paths.h, but that's all I know about.
>
> If nobody is using it, we can consider changing it back.  If not, then
> we'll just specifically allow a symbolic link at /var/mail to point to
> the real spool directory (or something like that).

Ideally, from an ABI perspective, applications wouldn't need to know the
path at all. They would have an API in a shared library to use to access
and manipulate the mail folders. Isn't this was MAPI does on M$? The OS
would provide the shared library configured the right way for that OS.

I haven't looked closely, but I think that the c-client library comes
close to doing this.

MUAs should use such a library, and MTAs are probably complicated enough
that they would be configurable via a config file anyway.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        105 Fox Ridge Run
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/