are you using /var/mail?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Jan 20 13:13:24 PST 1999

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> Ideally, from an ABI perspective, applications wouldn't need to know the
> path at all. They would have an API in a shared library to use to access
> and manipulate the mail folders.

Well, somewhere there needs to be a fairly stable interface.  Whether
that's a shared library or a name and fileformat in the filesystem
doesn't matter all that much, although a shared library gives you more
flexibility in how you store the underlying data.

> I haven't looked closely, but I think that the c-client library comes
> close to doing this.

I've heard tell that the c-client library is grossly inefficient.

--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no