are you using /var/mail?

Stuart Anderson anderson at metrolink.com
Wed Jan 20 13:20:40 PST 1999

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> > Ideally, from an ABI perspective, applications wouldn't need to know the
> > path at all. They would have an API in a shared library to use to access
> > and manipulate the mail folders.
>
> Well, somewhere there needs to be a fairly stable interface.  Whether
> that's a shared library or a name and fileformat in the filesystem
> doesn't matter all that much, although a shared library gives you more
> flexibility in how you store the underlying data.

You've just summed up why previous ABIs were done the way they were 8-).

> > I haven't looked closely, but I think that the c-client library comes
> > close to doing this.
>
> I've heard tell that the c-client library is grossly inefficient.

That's possible. I haven't looked into it much, I just know that several
things seem to use it at it provide an abstracted interface to a mail
repository.

For several years, I've thought that this type of interface to mail would
be good, just never did anything about it...

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        105 Fox Ridge Run
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/