LSB Commands and Utilities, Draft proposal

Stuart Anderson anderson at metrolink.com
Tue Jul 6 08:47:18 PDT 1999

Your approach is very similar to how we are working on things. We have not yet
addressed different levels of compilance though.

> If it were up to me (which it is NOT), I would divide the LSB into logical
> categories of compliance...
>
> Core Libraries - this category includes the base libraries needed to run
>
> Filesystem - this category would contain the FHS (or whatever it's called
>
> Extension Libraries - this category would include those libraries which are
>
> Core utilities - applications such as bash, Perl, etc. which are not
>
> Administration utilities - this includes those utilities and their
>
> Extension utilities - other utilities commonly found in /bin, /usr/bin,
>
> Development libraries - not actually a seperate category, each of the
>
> These categories contents thus defined, I would then define levels of
> compliance within the LSB, which third-party applications could then
> visually require (in a Requirments sticker on the box, for example):
>
> Level 0 (Base): any distribution which is LSB-compliant must
>
> Level 1 (System): distributions which are Level 1 compliant must
>
> Level 2 (Administration): distributions which are Level 2 compliant must also

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/